YELLOWKNIFE ( March 11, 2016) — The Minister of Health and Social Services, Glen Abernethy, is seeking nominations for appointments to Regional Wellness Councils across the Northwest Territories.
Regional Wellness Councils are new and are being established to ensure residents from across the Northwest Territories have the opportunity to provide input into the territorial health and social services system. These groups will help inform policy and programming decisions across the territory.
Regional Wellness Councils will serve as advisory bodies to the new Territorial Leadership Council when it comes into force on August 1st, 2016. The councils will provide advice regarding health and social services, priorities under the territorial health and social services plan, and the promotion of health and wellness. The RWC’s will play a role in ensuring that the concerns and input from the public are addressed, and us to inform the delivery of services.
More information on the role of the Regional Wellness Councils, eligibility criteria, and nomination forms can be found on the Department of Health and Social Services website or by contacting email@example.com. The nomination deadline is April 30, 2016.
“Regional Wellness Councils are one of the cornerstones of our new one-system approach to health and Social Services. By engaging residents and providing a venue for the ideas and input of community members to come forward we are building a more responsive system that will meet the needs of northerners.”
- Glen Abernethy, Minister of Health and Social Services
- On August 1st six of the current NWT Health and Social Services Authorities will be amalgamated to one Territorial Health and Social Services Authority to provide a better coordinated one-system approach.
- Regional Wellness Councils will be the community advisory bodies that provide advice on programming and services to the Territorial Board of Management.
- Self-nominations are allowed.
- Nominations are open until April 30, 2016.
Media inquiries for the department
Department of Health and Social Services
1-867-767-9052 (ext. 49034)